About This Hymn:
- Fanny Crosby (Wholesome Words)
- Fanny Crosby (Britannica)
- The Life and Ministry of Frances Jane Crosby
- Fanny Crosby (FamPeople) - this is the most compete article by far! I haven’t even finished reading it.
Why I Chose This Hymn:
- a lifelong desire to be educated for ministry
- a conversation with my mother about grad school several years ago before she passed away
- a journal entry specifically mentioning Asbury Seminary even though I could not attend then
- assorted family crises
- ministry among other women in crisis
- a lot of blogging about church abuse issues
- the resulting FB friendship with a woman who blogs about the same topics on the opposite side of the country
- that new friend’s Facebook post about the Christians for Biblical Equality conference she was attending in my city
- a mutual FB friend (whom I had also not yet met in person) offering a scholarship so I could attend that conference
- meeting several Methodist women at the CBE conference
- my grandson’s rescheduled birthday party (the Sunday-morning-several-weeks-late timing of which caused me to visit a Methodist church’s early service since it was my late mother’s birthday and she had been born into a Methodist family and I had admired the Methodist women I had met at the CBE conference)
- running into an old friend at that Methodist church (whom I had met when we worked for the same school years ago)
- attending her Lectio Divina Bible study, and hearing her talk about her Inductive Bible Study class at seminary (a conversation which made me drool)
- my 2018 "one word" Focus
- and several key shifts in my own family circumstances.
And that’s just a tiny sample of the story. There is much more to it, but I don’t want to write a book here. And all the way my Savior leads me. That much I know, even though I don’t always know what’s next on the agenda. Life is quite an adventure. I can trust God to be with me every step of the way. And then I look back and laugh.
- This Mom Starts a New Chapter
- Arise (One Word)
- Sweet Sunday Morning in Geneve (Europe #5) - an amusing story of being in the right place at the right time
- The Power of a Christian Woman's Voice
- A Vision of Mother-Life (A Poem)
- Strength in Hymn index
- Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us
- Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
- Mutual by Design 2017 Christians for Biblical Equality Conference
- The Puritans, The Quakers, and Little Old Me (Reflections on A Measure of Light) - many generations of God's leading in my family history
- Pilgrimage and Jubilee
The Photos in this Post:
The photos in this post are from my visit to the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America in Washington, D.C. last fall. I had wanted to go back to the National Cathedral the last time I visited family in Maryland. (See my poem God of Joy, I See Thee for photos of my first visit in 2017.) My nephew Doug also loves the cathedral and offered to take me. When we were driving home, I found out he had plotted a surprise detour to see the monastery too. He knew I would enjoy it, and I certainly did! I love this kind of adventure. You can see more about that here: My Birthday Weekend in Maryland.
Oh, all that for one hymn post! You never know what you're going to get when you read my blogs!